Re: Bits from the RM: Help Wanted, Apply Within

On Sat, Mar 08, 2003 at 09:51:13PM +0100, Michael Bramer wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 08, 2003 at 04:13:06AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > 	* What other major release goals are still possible at this point?
> > 	  How much of the translation project can be properly integrated?
> > 	  Do we have other installation problems to address beyond just
> > 	  debian-installer (eg, tasks, base-config, flavours, broken
> > 	  package installs and upgrades, etc)? Are there any other
>
> some comments about i18n:
>  - translated package description:
(...)
>    This all should be included in the sarge release.
>
>  - debconf template translation:
(...)
>    include in sarge, but we should now wait for this task.

I'm sorry but I don't agree here. There are higher priority goals
that IMHO should be done before release. Some other things were proposed
release goals for sarge when we released woody, such as having full
non-interactive installation (i.e. use debconf in those packages that don't
yet use it).

However, translation shouldn't be a release goal _unless_ we can
guarantee that all languages will be in a releasable state. And, sorry,
that's not only one language, but all the languages we are going to
"officially" support for sarge. [1]

Even if we have always made a best-effort regarding translations, it has
never been the case that translations (for documentation, installation,
etc.) have hold up release. If we wish to change this for sarge then it
should be discussed openly.

Best regards

Javi

PS: I wouldn't 'vote' against doing this for sarge, but we have to priorise
translation efforts. IMHO translation efforts priorities should
be:
1.- installation
2.- installation related documentation
3.- programs used by installation (base-config, dselect, apt and dpkg)
4.- debconf templates
5.- package descriptions

[1] And that has not even been discussed at all. Also debconf/package
translations status not withstanding, those "official" languages need to be
up-to-date in some other processes, including installation (both
base-config, floopies, dpkg and apt) and documentation. Note that we have
no way (yet) to track this easily and say:  "translation to language X is
fully done for installation, documentation, debconf, and packages
translation"