Re: Graph Private Woody Archives

On Sat, Mar 08, 2003 at 11:14:21AM +0100, Fabio Massimo Di Nitto wrote:
> 	why only woody? it is not hardcoded anywhere and it looks working
> fine on sid and sarge as well :-)))

The only application I could think of was for woody, but I guess it
can be used for more then just that...

> On Sat, 8 Mar 2003, Brian May wrote:
>
> > In case in body is interested, I hacked out a Perl script that:
>
> definetely useful.

Thanks!

> > 2. Using the information from (B) outputs a vcg nodelist (for producing
> > a graph in vcg) that shows build dependancies for the private archive.
>
> Is it possible to get a simple text file output like:
>
> /
> |- foo (status)
> |   \- whatever (status)
> |- bar
>
> so that the script can run in a cronjob and does not require a graphical
> viewer? as well as user intercation since i can mail the result to myself
> automatically.

That would be good, although how would you cope with yucky circular
build-depends/depends?

This brings me to one of several limitations I identified, with the
not-so-obvious ones being perhaps the biggest problem.

This program makes no attempt to process "Depends", only build depends.
I realized though that build-depends is just as important, too. eg.
package A build-depends on package B, which depends on package C. Assume
B doesn't build-depend on C, just depends on it.

My program will only show a line from A to B, it really needs something
from B to C to. However, this gets a bit ugly, because B doesn't require
C to build. Maybe a dotted line could would be better here, not sure.

Also a problem here is that depends aren't listed in the Sources.gz
file. Packages.gz might be better, but I noticed that some Packages
entries do not have a Source header...

> > The build depends version information is totally ignored.
>
> Can't this give false "green" status?

I don't think so, as only the current version is used in deciding the
color.

However, totally disregarding '|' (it displays all known packages) and
[...] probably isn't such a good idea...

There might be issues here I haven't thought about.

Also another *nice* feature would only to display groups of packages
where at least one dependancy was red, not display all of them.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>