Re: Qt3 Questions

On Mittwoch, 5. März 2003 09:52, Peter Mathiasson wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 09:21:12AM +0100, Ralf Nolden wrote:
> > On Dienstag, 4. März 2003 23:38, Peter Mathiasson wrote:
> > > I have a couple of questions about your Qt3 packages and the way you
> > > currently handle things.
> > >
> > > Why does libqt3-dev conflict with libqt3-mt-dev?
> > >
> > > Why doesn't libqt3-headers depend on libqt3-compat-headers? You'll have
> > > to do this to ensure the upgrade path (from woody to sarge). Just like
> > > dpkg depends on dselect.
> > >
> > > Why is the i18n stuff in their own package? What's the reason for all
> > > these packages? Again, doesn't this make it difficult to assure a clean
> > > upgrade path?
> > >
> > > As a maintainer of a Qt3 application I would like to be notified when
> > > you make changes that affects it. This was not the case when you added
> > > the libqt3-compat-headers package and changed the QTDIR.
> >
> > Peter, we did clean up the Qt packages completely because as we started
> > to care for them they were horribly out of date and patches got in like
> > who cares. Please read the README.Debian which explains anything in
> > depth. If you have more questions, feel free to ask.
>
> I did re-read README.Debian and it explains why libqt3-dev and
> libqt3-mt-dev conflicts.
>
> Still you haven't addressed my main concern, a clean upgrade path
> between woody and sarge and your way of making changes without
> contacting me as a Qt3 application maintainer.

that's why the readme says contact us if you have questions. We can't jump on
any Qt 3 app maintainer and tell him how to do his job.

The i18n stuff is only necessary for either developers or users who:

- - use a language other than english
- - use an app that includes the code to load the qm file for his language

The upgrade path is that the packages itself work and do upgrade. If you're  a
package maintainer and your app doesn't compile you should use kdesdk and run
fixincludes, make a diff and send it to the author of your program to fix the
issues. Until then upload with a build dependency on libqt3-compat-headers.

libqt3-dev and libqt3-mt-dev have to be conflicting with each other because:
a) it ensures that your app links against the desired libqt or libqt-mt. Some
configure scripts fail at that and pick up the first one they find, though
libqt-mt linking is to be preferred. Use libqt3-mt-dev if nothing prevents
you from doing so

b) Qt generates two header files that are specific to the configure arguments
passed to Qt, qconfig.h and qmodules.h. Those differ in the two Qt builds
(threaded and nonthreaded). To make sure everything is in sync those are
packaged with the respective libqt3(-mt)-dev packages because a) has to be
ensured anyway.

Ralf

- --
Ralf Nolden