Re: debconf template translation

On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 12:56:43PM +0100, Michael Bramer wrote:

> > > And then file bugs if that isn't done...
> >
> > > Well if it can detect that, why not let it also just add the
> > > translations. After all adding some translations is far less complicated
> > > than a FTBS bug, which undoubtedly needs human (maintainer)
> > > intervention.
> >
> > Who is responsible for the final contents of the package in such a case?

> I must laugh about this. (or miss I a smily?)

> IMHO you are the maintainer of freetds, right?

> Please go to
> http://ddtp.debian.org/cgi-bin/debconf.cgi?part=debconf&package=freetds
> and check the de, es, ru translations. Maybe you found some errors.

If I could find any errors in the Spanish translations, I would have
corrected them as I was writing the templates in the first place. ;)

As for German and Russian, I'm comfortable enough with my reading fluency
in both languages to look at these translations and say that they are not
maliciously mistranslated, even if I don't understand either language
well enough to write my own translations.  This is why I have had no
reservations about including both sets of translations in the package.

> I hope you can read, write and understand all 18 languages from the
> ddtp. If not, the only thing you can do two things:
>  1.) you can cut and past the translation in your package
>  2.) you can throw away the translation

> What will you make and who is responsible for the final text?

If I add it to my package, I'm responsible for it, even if I don't
understand it.  If someone else adds it after I've uploaded my signed
package, it's out of my hands -- but I'll still receive the bug reports.

Even if I don't speak the language in question, I can ask someone I trust
who does speak the language to review the templates for me.  If the
translations are PGP-signed by another developer, maybe I don't need to
do that.  But it should be possible for me to make this determination, if
I'm the one receiving bug reports.

> > The maintainer is no longer in control.  Would you make all translators
> > DDs and require them to sign translation uploads to ensure
> > accountability?

> I don't have any problem with a DD, who make only translation works.
> Some german translators make >1000 translations.

I don't have a problem with that either, but the translators would need
to go through the NM process before being given the power to change
Debian packages.

Regards,
--
Steve Langasek