Re: debconf template translation

On Sun, Mar 02, 2003 at 06:32:43PM -0600, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 02, 2003 at 10:50:00PM +0100, Denis Barbier wrote:
>
> > Delay is not the only problem.
> > I filed many bugreports to make DD realize that they must put translated
> > templates into separate files.  Some DD did not like this idea because
> > (choose your option)
> >   a) merging templates at build time unnecessarily consumes autobuilders
> >      CPU time
> >   b) adding a build-dependency against debconf-utils make their packages
> >      "unpure"
>
> Who are these maintainers, so we can subject them to public derision?

My intention is not to laugh at them.  IMO all packages with merged
templates files should be fixed, there is an unauthoritative list
at http://www.debian.org/intl/l10n/templates/errors-by-pkg

> > Since debconf 1.2.0, encoding of localized fields can be specified within
> > field name.  This allows encoding conversion when user's charset is
> > different, which will become more and more common because of UTF-8 support.
> > Po-debconf must be used instead of debconf-utils in order to generate
> > translated templates with such fields. but according to
> >   http://www.debian.org/intl/l10n/po-debconf/
> > very few packages (around 30, plus debian-installer packages) made this
> > transition.
>
> Perhaps some maintainers are wary of switching because of #171377?
>
> How often does that po-debconf page get updated?  I know of at least one
> package now using po-debconf that's not listed.

Normally it is updated daily, but data may be one day old because several
cron jobs are involved.  Date is displayed in page footer.
I fixed a problem yesterday which broke data collection, this is why current
displayed date is 2003-02-28.

Denis