Re: debconf template translation

On Sun, Mar 02, 2003 at 10:50:00PM +0100, Denis Barbier wrote:

> I filed many bugreports to make DD realize that they must put translated
> templates into separate files.  Some DD did not like this idea because

How often does this happen?  Is it the exception rather than the rule?
If it is the exception then it should be a lot easier to deal with -
once most packages do the right thing it should become a lot easier to
convince people to DTRT.

> Po-debconf must be used instead of debconf-utils in order to generate
> translated templates with such fields. but according to
>   http://www.debian.org/intl/l10n/po-debconf/
> very few packages (around 30, plus debian-installer packages) made this
> transition.

How much effort has there been to provide updated translations using
these fields to maintainers and otherwise encourage them to use this
feature?  As far as I can remember I've not had any translations
provided for any of my packages otherwise heard that this feature is
something I should be using since before Debconf 1.2.0 was released.
Presumably I'm not alone in this - it's not that I'm actively avoiding
doing it, it's just that I had no idea that I should be doing it.

> Etc.  Thus if there is a solution which improves l10n without having to
> waste my time with endless discussions, I'll be happy.

The idea that was floated about allowing maintainers to pull updated
translations for their packages from the translation project database
seems like a good one to me, as does providing a means for maintainers
to submit things for translation before uploading.  A nag mail similar
to the RC bugs list detailing outdated translations might also help.
Ensuring that the packaging documentation includes guidance on making
packages l10n ready would also be helpful - if nothing else, it ought to
help new packages.

Even if nothing new is done we should at least making sure that the
tools we have are being used as well as they can be so that when
everything goes according to plan the translations get used and when
things don't work we can see that happening more readily.