Re: apt 0.6 in experimental

On Sun, Dec 28, 2003 at 10:32:17PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> Somewhat offtopic, but is there any documentation of the format and
> fields in Release files anywhere at all? Or did they spring full-fledged
> (and undocumented) from the sweaty brows of Aj and Jason? :-)

Pretty much.

On Mon, Dec 29, 2003 at 03:25:02PM -0500, Nathaniel W. Turner wrote:
> > You forgot to attach the Release file.  It is probably bogus.  Use
> > apt-ftparchive to generate one.
> I did use apt-ftparchive to generate it, and it really is at that URI in the
> quoted error message above.  =)

It says:

] Origin: Nathaniel W. Turner
] Label: Unofficial Snapshot Packages

I'd expect the spaces there to cause problems. If they don't, I'm out of
ideas too.

Some rough documentation, AIUI:

] Origin: Debian
] Label: Debian

As per the binary-foo/Release files -- Origin is the originating
organisation, Label is name of the overall distribution being provided.

] Suite: stable
] Codename: woody
] Version: 3.0r2

The name of this particular release of the distribution. Suite/Codename
replace "Archive" from apt_preferences. Both Version and Codename are
optional. (The other fields should be the same as in apt_preferences)

Each of these should be one word, usually (always?) all lower case. The
Release file should be accessible as $URLBASE/dists/$SUITE/Release
and $URLBASE/dists/$CODENAME/Release. (Note that that *is* the case
for experimental thanks to the wonders of symlinks)