Re: What's the rule for dependencies of 'contrib' packages?

On Wed, Dec 31, 2003 at 11:57:43AM -0500, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> 'muffin' isn't allowed into 'testing' because it depends on 'jdk1.1',
> which isn't in Debian.
>
> But 'muffin' is contrib.  I thought that 'contrib' packages were allowed
> to depend on packages not in the Debian archive.
>
> Or is the rule that all dependencies of 'contrib' packages must be in
> 'non-free', in 'contrib', or in Debian?  I didn't see any such rule.
>
> Perhaps a clarification is in order?

Testing needs to have an override file for the out-of-Debian packages it
allows to exist. I talked to aj about this at DebConf, and thought I'd
sent an e-mail with a suggested override file, but it seems to have got
lost in the wash somewhere. I'll see if I can dig it out again.