Re: Release-critical Bugreport for December 12, 2003

On Fri, Dec 19, 2003 at 02:21:55PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 03:18:49PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > Why are you arguing with one of your release deputies[1] on a public
> > mailing list, instead of working out procedures as a group, and present
> > coherent and consistent recommendations to the rest of the Project?
>
> Huh? Why are you trying to discourage transparency?

It doesn't seem to be your preferred means of working[1], so I was
attempting to adapt.

Apparently you'll play the "pragmatic" card when transparency doesn't
suit your personal tastes, and vice versa.

> To answer your question, I posted to -devel and -release because I expect
> other people are drawing the same wrong conclusions.

Is this sort of knowledge being aggregated in some form of
documentation, such as a FAQ?  If not, do you feel such an aggregation
would be valuable (and if so, whose responsibility do you feel it should
be?)?

> > It's been almost four months since Joey H., Colin W., and Steve L. were
> > officially deputized; I would have thought this sort of thing would have
> > been hashed out by now.
>
> People always make mistakes, no matter how long they've been doing
> something.

And some people have difficulty acknowledging their mistakes[4], which
makes it more difficult to learn from their actions.

[1] Note the lag between [2] and [3].
[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2003/debian-devel-announce-200308/msg00010.html
[3] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2003/debian-devel-announce-200312/msg00000.html
[4] e.g., http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=139529[5]
[5] If this example is difficult to follow, consider whether exchanging a
    loop's test condition for its body is a functional change to code.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    Kissing girls is a goodness.  It is
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    a growing closer.  It beats the