Re: So many packages. So few that I need started at every boot.

On Sat, Dec 27, 2003 at 05:36:40PM -0800, Vincent Bernat wrote:
> OoO  Vers la  fin  de l'après-midi  du  samedi 27  décembre 2003, vers
> 16:47, Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> disait:
> > Having said that, there seems to be a patch in the BTS at the moment
> > which I ought to look at.
>
> Since the  original  one was quite  old,   I have  sent two   new.

That's what I was referring to.

> The original one get rid of  /etc/ssh/sshd_not_to_be_run.

As I say, that should happen by splitting the package, post-sarge.

> If the user does not want the server, the symlinks are removed,  it
> can still launch it via /etc/init.d.

That doesn't really work. Your original patch meant that the user's
choice was *only* remembered in the debconf cache, which might be
removed at any time. At the moment /etc/ssh/sshd_not_to_be_run is simply
a record of the answer in a validly persistent location.

> My first patch looks at the name of the script. If it is invoked as S*
> or K*, /etc/ssh/sshd_not_to_be_run is  respected, otherwise the action
> is taken  whatever this file  exists or not.  It is almost the same as
> the original approach.
>
> The  second  patch adds   some targets :  force-start,  force-stop and
> force-reload. With start, stop and reload, the script behaves the same
> way as the  original script, so we don't  need to modify other scripts
> like the  postinst one (and  maybe some others). The  force-* versions
> will do  the appropriate  actions even if  /etc/ssh/sshd_not_to_be_run
> exists.
>
> Just   handling symlinks in  /etc/rc.d is  not sufficient enough since
> many postinst scripts should  then be modified  to avoid the server to
> start against  the user  will.  In contrast,  adding "force-*" targets
> would force the user to  modify its own scripts  (for example, when he
> could have written a script that launches Apache+MySQL).

I prefer the second option. ssh's postinst can't invoke the init script
via the S* and K* names because the user might wish to change the
ordering of their init scripts. Also, the user might not be using the S*
and K* scheme at all, but might be using file-rc.

In addition, the second option nicely avoids being invasive, since it
doesn't change the meaning of existing targets.

Cheers,