Re: APT-like system for BOINC

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 22:05:06 -0800
Karl Chen <quarl@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu> wrote:
> The update/upgrade process would need to be automatic (and
> optionally not automatic).  Multiple versions of the same
> application, at least temporarily, would be useful.

Just some quick comments here. apt-get could optionally be entirely
automatic if package installations/upgrades/removals were done without
user interaction. This is a per-package thing, and since you control the
"packages", there's no reason why you couldn't make it so. Of course,
presumably the distribution software you use (even if it's based on
concepts used by Debian) would likely be under your control too ;)

> I'm not sure yet if different distributions
> (stable/testing/unstable) are useful.

This and the above ("Multiple versions of the same application, at least
temporarily, would be useful.") contradict each other - the different
distributions in Debian just contain different versions of packages :)

I don't know if you'd care for a user-settable thing, like Debian has
(ie: the user selects which distribution to track), but certainly being
able to test new versions of software on random folk (and cross-checking
the results of the beta version with results of the stable version)
would be of immense value.