Re: Mass bug filing potential: (x-)www-browser Provides

Hi,

Bill Allombert wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 13, 2003 at 04:40:23PM +0100, Rene Engelhard wrote:
> > [ Cc: ing debian-policy wrt virtual-packages-list ]
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > We want to suggest Browsers for X (those providing the x-www-browser
> > alternative):
> >
> > IMHO, suggesting a console program from an X program makes no sense -
>
> We are not suggesting a console program, but a class of programm which
> include both console and X11 program. It is up to the user to choose
> at this point.

I think that we was ambigous here. The we were from the viewpoint of
the OpenOffice.org maintainers which clearly is an X program and we are
going to use the x-www-browser alternative for opening links in external
browsers.

It makes no real sense for most _X program_ to
Suggest/Recommend/Depend (whatever you want to do with the virtual
package) www-browser to get X and Console WWW-Browsers.

Those having a sense there can Suggest/Recommend/Depend both...

> > especially not as the X program will use the x-www-browser alternative
> > per default...
>
> Are you aware of Policy proposal #172436 web browser url viewing ?

No, I wasn't.

> I am not sure we need to seggregate between X11 and text browser
> in the virtual-package. Doing it in the alternative is quite
> sufficient since:
>
>   If the BROWSER environment variable is not set, the program should use
>   /usr/bin/x-www-browser if there is an available X Window System DISPLAY,
>   and /usr/bin/www-browser if not.

ah yes.
and how should OOo run lynx or w3m or whatever?
just executing from a graphical app doesn't result it being in an xterm or so.

*me looking in sensible-browser*
[...]

if (exists $ENV{DISPLAY}) {
        if (-e '/usr/bin/x-www-browser') {
                exec '/usr/bin/x-www-browser', $url;
                exit 1;
        }
        elsif (-e '/usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator' && -e '/usr/bin/www-browser') {
                exec "x-terminal-emulator", "-e", "/usr/bin/www-browser", $url;
                exit 1;
        }
}
elsif (-e '/usr/bin/www-browser') {
        exec '/usr/bin/www-browser', $url;
        exit 1;
}

Hmm.....

> By the way, what is delaying acceptation of #172436 ?

I am not sure I like #172436.

If you are sure that you want only suggest browsers for X I would it find
better to just suggest them alone (and you need the additional virtual
package for that) and use the alternative directly..

However, one of those both has to get in to policy anyway before one can
use it, no?

Grüße/Regards,

René
--
 .''`.  René Engelhard -- Debian GNU/Linux Developer
 `. `'  rene@debian.org | GnuPG-Key ID: 248AEB73