Re: experimental codename: scud?

Vincent Renardias <vincent@renardias.com> wrote:

> > > I'm not on the list, just follow DWN. Just a thought,
> > > but naming something after a missile seems odd.
> >
> > Question is, after what the missile was named ...
>
> Extract from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scud:
>
> "Scud is the NATO reporting name (not an acronym) for a Soviet army
> short-range liquid propellant surface-to-surface ballistic missile, the
> SS-1.
> [...]
> The name "Scud" is also used to refer to an Iraqi modification of the
> same missile."

toens@kobalt:~$ dict scud

4 definitions found

 From Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913) [web1913]:

   Scud \Scud\, v. i. [imp. & p. p. {Scudded}; p. pr. & vb. n.
     {Scudding}.] [Dan. skyde to shoot, shove, push, akin to skud
     shot, gunshot, a shoot, young bough, and to E. shoot.
     [root]159. See {Shoot}.]
     1. To move swiftly; especially, to move as if driven forward
        by something.

	     The first nautilus that scudded upon the glassy
             surface of warm primeval oceans.      --I. Taylor.

             The wind was high; the vast white clouds scudded
              over the blue heaven.             --Beaconsfield.

     2. (Naut.) To be driven swiftly, or to run, before a gale,
        with little or no sail spread.

 From Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913) [web1913]:

   Scud \Scud\, v. t.
        To pass over quickly. [R.] --Shenstone.

 From Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913) [web1913]:

   Scud \Scud\, n.
        1. The act of scudding; a driving along; a rushing with
        precipitation.

        2. Loose, vapory clouds driven swiftly by the wind.

                 Borne on the scud of the sea.   --Longfellow.

                 The scud was flying fast above us, throwing a veil
                 over the moon.                        --Sir S. Baker.

        3. A slight, sudden shower. [Prov. Eng.] --Wright.

        4. (Zo["o]l.) A small flight of larks, or other birds, less
        than a flock. [Prov. Eng.]

        5. (Zo["o]l.) Any swimming amphipod crustacean.

        {Storm scud}. See the Note under {Cloud}.

 From WordNet (r) 2.0 [wn]:

    scud
         n : the act of moving along swiftly (as before a gale) [syn: {scudding}]
         v 1: run or move very quickly or hastily; "She dashed into the
              yard" [syn: {dart}, {dash}, {scoot}, {flash}, {shoot}]
         2: run before a gale [syn: {rack}]
	   [also: {scudding}, {scudded}]

by
Töns