Re: Nice multilingual environment with Debian menu

On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 10:24:54AM +0800, Arne Goetje wrote:
> I suffer from the same problem, too. I'm using chinese, english and
> german. However, the problem does not get fixed by changing the locale
> all the time... this should not be done anyways.

Yes.

> IMHO the local setting should reflect in which country you are based,
> and not which languages or input methods you are using.
> Unfortunately many program developers abuse the locales for exactly that
> function... :(

I use C as default local unless I need otherwise.

> If you choose en_US.UTF-8 as locale and you are using KDE for example,
> you can still input other languages which use the western alphabet by
> changing the keyboard settings on the fly.

Yes.

> However, this does not work for asian input methods. Especially the
> asian IMs are the ones which depend on the locale. They shouldn't do
> it.

That's why I suggest my way.  I have one UXTerm for English which to not
activate IM.  I can have another UXTerm running on the same X screen from
my menu for Japanese which activate IM upon SHIFT-SPACE.

Did you tried my way and talking?

  http://qref.sourceforge.net/Debian/reference/ch-tune.en.html#s-x-cjk

> So, instead of trying to work around the problem by changing your
> individual system, we should convice the programmers of these
> applications in question, not to depend on the locale setting, but use
> a switch in the application configuration to choose the proper input
> method.

Mlterm address this issue this way so does some other terminal programs.

But that beat some good thing about locale.  Menu actually fill in gap.

> Unfortunately openoffice.org goes in the same wrong direction, by
> requiring the user to use a chinese locale setting to input chinese...
> that's nuts! Obviously the developers didn't think of people who have
> to deal with more than one language... :(

So why not set 2 openoffice menu (i.e., invocation commands) for
Chinese and English.  You can enen set up one system with basically
chinese environment but also specify English messages.  Then program
will be IM aware but easy on English reader.

I think compose key sequences overrap with IM key sequences.

Cheers to you.

> Arne Götje (高盛華) <arne@linux.org.tw>
It looks like your name comes up OK in my ja_JP.eucJP locale :-)