Re: Nice multilingual environment with Debian menu

On Saturday 13 December 2003 14:28, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 02:21:25PM -0500, Joe Drew wrote:
> > On Fri, 2003-12-12 at 12:43, Osamu Aoki wrote:

> > does this mean different input methods?
>
> Yes.
>
> Actually, uxterm under ja_JP.UTF-8 brings out xim(kinput2 for me) but
> not in en_US.UTF-8.  I guess in en_US.UTF-8, compose key is active to
> make accented characters (not tested).
>
> Since I start console programs in the customized locale, this change
> of the console program behavior can be enjoyed.  If I were still
> using hacks in my shell start up script[*1], I would not have enjoyed
> this in uxterm.
>
> Anyway, my point in posting this also in -devel was that Debian menu
> is very useful tool if you know how to use it.

I suffer from the same problem, too. I'm using chinese, english and
german. However, the problem does not get fixed by changing the locale
all the time... this should not be done anyways.
IMHO the local setting should reflect in which country you are based,
and not which languages or input methods you are using.
Unfortunately many program developers abuse the locales for exactly that
function... :(

If you choose en_US.UTF-8 as locale and you are using KDE for example,
you can still input other languages which use the western alphabet by
changing the keyboard settings on the fly.
However, this does not work for asian input methods. Especially the
asian IMs are the ones which depend on the locale. They shouldn't do
it.

So, instead of trying to work around the problem by changing your
individual system, we should convice the programmers of these
applications in question, not to depend on the locale setting, but use
a switch in the application configuration to choose the proper input
method.

Unfortunately openoffice.org goes in the same wrong direction, by
requiring the user to use a chinese locale setting to input chinese...
that's nuts! Obviously the developers didn't think of people who have
to deal with more than one language... :(

Cheers
Arne

- --
Arne Götje (高盛華) <arne@linux.org.tw>
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/685D1E8C
Fingerprint: 2056 F6B7 DEA8 B478 311F  1C34 6E9F D06E 685D 1E8C