Re: Changes in formal naming for NetBSD porting effort(s)

Joel Baker <fenton@debian.org> writes:

> On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 11:01:49AM +0100, David Weinehall wrote:
>> Branden's second proposal of using something from Pratchett did have a
>> nice ring to it, and then there's always the valar.
>
> Actually, given that I'm a long-time and deep-seated Tolkien geek, I rather
> like the notion of using the Valar - they're fictional, and Tolkien's work
> isn't yet out from under copyright, but they *are* reasonably well-known
> (Okay, not as well as Pratchett, but better than Christian demonology),
> and if we're liable to get in trouble over using just the names, we should
> probably strongly reconsider our use of Toy Story character names for
> tagging distributions...
>
> Suppose it's time to dig out my reference books and see if I can come up
> with a suitable set of names out of that mythos.
>
> Besides, using Tolkien names is a long geek tradition.

Would "Debian Aulë" be appropriate?

"Of the fabric of Earth had Aulë thought, to whom Ilúvatar had given
skill and knowledge scare less than to Melkor; but the delight and
pride of Aulë is in the deed of making, and in the thing made, and
neither in posession nor in his own mastery; wherefore he gives and
hoards not, and is free from care, passing ever on to some new work."

Ainulindalë, J. R. R. Tolkien, /The Silmarillion/.

There are also important Elves, such as Fëanor that might also qualify.

However, there may well be copyright issues.  "Slink", "Woody",
"Potato" and "Bo" etc. aren't exactly unique, but you would be hard
pushed to find another book with "Manwë", "Oromë", etc. in it.

--
Roger Leigh