Re: Proposed change to debian release system

Hiya all,

Thanks for your reply’s, I like the idea of making some packages "perishable" the trouble is where would you draw the line? I could do with some of the new features in proftpd, but that would not be perishable – so the problem is still there.
The main problem is that software is moving on so damn fast atm.

From my point of view one of the main issues is that new packages are never built for the stable release, so there are loads of packages in testing that I need or want to use, but they are not in stable - probably for good reason. However all its doing is forcing be to end up maintaining 2 different platforms one for newer or more up to date packages, and one for my must be stable servers. However the time will come when I need features even on my stable server that debian can not provide – and I will be forced to switch.

The administrative load of mixing package from different releases and keeping track of it to ensure you don’t break anything simply gets to high after you reach 400-500 hundred servers!

Now I have to say, all that does is tempt me to switch all my servers over to say bsd, as its not a lot harder to maintain, but it means I can once again have only one system to admin rather than two. Obviously this isn’t what I want to do, or I would not have mailed this list in the first place! However there are economic factors at play which means that my boss will force me to run a distro that can handle the latest/newer packages and run in a stable state

Best Regards
Scott