Re: Debian IS for the enterprise

hi john,

On Sat, Dec 13, 2003 at 03:07:00PM +0000, Bruno Rodrigues wrote:
> Which doesn't support hyperthreading nor the network cards ?

nor the aacraid/aic7xxx scsi raid controllers, which really sucks
if that's where your hard disks are.  but there are folks on the
net who've made netboot isos which work for that.  i haven't checked
the smp/hyperthreading support, i'll look into that next week.

> I also got a Tecra M1 where nor old debian installer nor the new one did
> work at all. I had to run knoppix in it, knx-hd-install and then upgrade
> to debian's unstable.

the knoppix hd install is great if you know nothing about how to install
a linux system, don't care about specifics, and just want to have linux
on your machine with minimal fuss.  push a couple buttons and blam, you
have linux. and knoppix itself is a great way to find out if your
machine will support debian gnu/linux.

however, it lacks a few things that a full-fledged debian installer
would need to have[1], such as giving the user a way to partition the
hard drive, what software to install, and how to configure the base system.

> Can't we just make an installer like a mini-knoppix ?

personally, i'd like to see knoppix come with the debian installer
as a menu option.  it's a little more difficult to go the other way
because knoppix is pretty much x86-centric, and debian supports much
more than just x86 pc's.

	sean

[1] since the last time i checked, which was with an iso from about a
    month ago