Re: APT-Fu 0.2.3

Herbert Xu <herbert@gondor.apana.org.au> writes:
> I'm afraid that although the character `fu' has many meanings, but
> style or technique isn't one of them.

Hmmm, you seem to be right, I was confused. :-(

I don't have a chinese dictionary, but my Japanese dictionary lists a
japanese version of kung-fu `kanfu-', which uses a kanji meaning `merit'
(kou) and the [common] `fu' meaning `husband':

  功夫

I guess that makes sense, if you interpret it as meaning something like
`Hard work is the partner of success' -- which sort of works with `apt'
too (partner of apt?).

[Having looked this stuff up, now I can see why I was confused, BTW --
_another_ japanese version of kung-fu is `kenpou'[1], in which the
second kanji can mean `method', and I was muddling this in my head with
the japanese `fuu'[2] which can mean `method' as well as `style', etc.]

Abashedly,

-Miles

[1] 拳法
[2] 風
--
Yo mama's so fat when she gets on an elevator it HAS to go down.