Re: Bits from the RM

Hi aj, hi all others,

On 2003-12-01 14:45 +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> Another possibility is to just drop packages that aren't maintained well
> enough. While this is somewhat attractive, it doesn't really serve our
> users any better than saying "Why don't we just lower our standards?"

Basically I agree that instantly dropping 'bad' packages (or, worse,
doing it automatically) is not the best option for users. But OTOH it
cannot be the best solution neither to keep them forever, begging
people to fix them without any success.

Currently there are other issues that hold up the release (d-i and
others), but when these things have settled, I have the impression
that many users would prefer a release with some dropped packages over
a never-ending testing period. At least I do :-) Because compiling one
or two upstream packaes is much easier that always trying to keep in
sync with testing or fiddling with backports.org.

Just my EUR 0.02,

have a nice weekend everybody!

Martin