Re: The term "Custom Debian Distribution" (Was Re: [custom] The term "flavor" and encouraging work on Debian)

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003, Benj. Mako Hill wrote:

> I will personally move forward with this as soon as I get access to
> CVS.
Thanks.  This would be much appreciated.

> Andreas, perhaps you missed this message:
>   http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2003/debian-devel-announce-200309/msg00011.html
Definitely not because I'm very happy about it.

> Skolelinux took over for/merged with Debian-Edu in September. Through
> Debian-Edu, they *are* listed and linked from the page you mention.
Yes and you might remember that exactly this was the hint I gave in Oslo
in the discussion of my talk.

> More importantly, Skolelinux has done more than almost any CDD in
> terms of contributing back to Debian in both code and in
> methodology. Their method of submitting wishlist bug reports with low
> priority debconf questions is IMHO the most important way that CDDs
> can integreate their work into Debian proper and that CDDs can
Definitely!
That's why I feeled obliged to add the remark that I greatly appreciate
the work of the SkoleLinux people and that they probably did more for
Debian than any CDD is out of any question.

> actually use to become pure Debian and earn their name.
                  ^^^^^^
This is the keyword why I think that SkoleLinux is not yet a CDD.  They
do not have a webpage under www.d.o, no mailing list under lists.d.o
(which is not the most important criterium).  IMHO the key feature is
that SkoleLinux is not yet visible once you install plain Debian neither in
tasksel nor in the form of metapackages (I do not mind whether they adopt
edu-* name space or just use their own), etc.   Regarding to tasksel
there is a an open bug #186085 which definitely needs support by the
other CDD-people.  Once SkoleLinux is for instance mentioned in tasksel
(see #186085) I would call it CDD.

To be a CDD or not is no question of honor - its a question of the placement
related to Debian.  Its really no shame to be no CDD (you might even have reasons
to make the work better outside).

Kind regards

           Andreas.