Re: Building a distribution from source?

Steve Kemp <skx@debian.org> writes:

>   I wasn't going to post this, but it might be relevent to the
>  ongoing custom distribution stuff that's happening.
>
>   I've been experimenting with producing a hardened Debian derivitive
>  as a small piece of paid work.  This mostly means compiling things with
>  a stackguard compiler, using format guard, and enforcing policies, etc.
>
>   (We know that stackguard isn't going to produce a completely
>  hardened environment; as all the return-into-libc type exploits will
>  work.  Lets not discuss/flame about that.  Pretty please!)
>
>   All of that part I'm happy with.  I have a modified glibc and compiler
>  and am confident that I can recompile all the base packages and others that
>  are necessary.  It's the process of installing after that after that I'm
>  a bit confused.

You create a local apt repository. After that you just point the cd
creation to you repository instead of debian.

>   If I wish to produce an installation CD-ROM identical to that used
>  in woody, with my packages installed how do I do that?  Is there some
>  tool that will allow me to create an ISO with my packages.

You probably want to use the sarge Debian-Installer if you start
anything new. Its WIP but no point in getting used to something that
will be gone with sarge.

You need boot-floppies or debian-installer to creae the installation
software and debian-cd will create you a set of cds from the
installation software and your local repository.

>   I'm wondering if jigado, or using debootstrap from my apt repository
>  should be the way to go?  Any pointers appreciated.

Debian-cd can generate you jigdo files. The installation (both woody
and sarge) already use debootstrap, which just means you need the apt
repository you alreadycreaed to make cds.

>   The other approach which is simpler to manage but harder to install
>  is to insist upon a stable installation, then have an apt repository
>  with each package I've recompiled have a higher version number, or
>  in a distribution of my own with a release file.  (eg like testing,
>  but "steving" or similar.)
>
>   The latter approach appears to be what Adamantix are doing.
>
> Steve

Thats an option too and you get it for free.

MfG
        Goswin