Re: Debian packages and freedesktop.org (Gnome, KDE, etc) menu entries

On 04-Dec-03, 09:26 (CST), Jonathan Dowland <jmtd@compsoc.dur.ac.uk> wrote:
> It has been bashed around a lot but I think the menu system needs to be
> discussed thoroughly, as everyone seems to have reserved opinions on how
> it should be developed.

No it doesn't need to be discussed thorougly, it has already been beaten
to death several times.

What needs to happen is to either add the missing functionality to the
existing Debian menu file format and tools, so that it can generate
complete .desktop files for those desktop environments that can use
them, OR, enhance the existing tools (e.g. menu-methods) to generate the
appropriate window manager specific menu files from the .desktop format
for the many Debian supported window managers (or desktop environments)
that don't support them.

In either case, you need to work with the menu package maintainer, who
is, IIRC, already working on this, and probably does not need a bunch
more discussion by people who aren't going to do the work.

As for me, I'm happy to provide either my current menu files, which are
supported by all of the DE/WM systems in Debian, *or* .desktop files,
*when* they are supported by all (or at least most) the DE/WM systems in
Debian.

Steve
--
Steve Greenland