Re: debsums for maintainer scripts

On Dec 3, 2003, at 21:07, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:

You can just as well just check all the debs. gunzip doesn't take
longer, the slowest thing usually is the cdrom.

True, so I should probably just put the md5sums files on my CD, and check those. That'd be far faster.

I could even put the md5sums on a floppy, they're small. Or md5sums for all packages, even.

Actually, I think the biggest benefit of md5sums is that while attackers certainly could modify them, often they don't. While passing debsums certainly can't prove the integrity of a system, debsums failing can certainly prove the lack of integrity.

And they do help when you suspect hardware troubles, too.