Re: debsums for maintainer scripts (was: Re: Revival of the signed debs discussion)

On Mon, Dec 01, 2003 at 09:11:52PM +0100, Andreas Barth wrote:
> > Before mass bug-filling, it would be necessary to make it mandatory
> > which unfortunately is not the case right now afaik.
>
> Severity: wishlist
> Where is the problem?

Waste of time ?
If it's not mandatory, a full coverage will never happen and without
full coverage, most avantages of md5sum are lost.
In my opinion it's not difficult to add it to packages without it.
As soon as it's mandatory, NMU in delayed queue will be justified and I
am sure it would not be long to get full coverage.
Of course that post-sarge.

I don't see why adding a md5dsum_are_mandatory clause to the debian
policy would be difficult (what would be a good reason to not add md5sum
to a package?).

Christophe

L'experience, c'est une connerie par jour mais jamais la même.