Re: Bits from the RM

On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 09:33:39AM -0500, Sam Hartman wrote:
>   aj> or overloaded with work, or, for that matter, fixing compromised Debian
>   aj> servers -- do you think it's desirable and possible to:
>
>   aj> 	* for confirmed bugs with a known fix, upload a fixed package
>   aj> 	  within a day or two of the patch been sent to the bug log
> No, I don't think it is always desirable to do this and certainly my
> maintinance style doesn't work well with this methodology. The
> problem is there is a fairly high fixed cost to building, testing and
> doing release management for a package.

Those are really arguments that it's not always /possible/ -- if you
weren't having to make those trade offs, I'm sure you'd love to upload
fixes within a couple of days if you *could*:

> But I think dealing with normal bugs with confirmed fixes in a month
> or two is much more reasonable than a day or two.  I'd feel
> differently if Debian was my primary job or if I found a style of
> maintaining packages that worked well for me with this goal.

So I don't feel any urge to disagree with anything you've said there.

Cheers,
aj

               Linux.conf.au 2004 -- Because we can.
           http://conf.linux.org.au/ -- Jan 12-17, 2004