Re: [custom] The term "flavor" and encouraging work on Debian

On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 22:58:28 +0200, Fabian Fagerholm wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Recently, when thinking about the terminology surrounding Debian
> Subprojects, I thought about the term "flavor". I always liked that
> term, because I find it very descriptive.

[...]
> So I suggest the following terms:
>
> Debian is the super-project.
>         XYZ is a Debian Subproject,
>         which provides the flavors A, B and C.
>
> Opinions?

I'm always a fan of clearly defined terminology.  I also like the idea of
not limiting a sub-project too much; otherwise we'd probably see a large
number of sub-projects formed, w/ discussion on their respective lists
being splintered (but applicable to more than one).  Flavors sound a lot
like a subset of tasks.  There are task groupings like "gnome", with
another task group like "web-cluster" (that pulls in
apache/ipvs/keepalived/heartbeat/etc).  The difference being that one is
simply a collection of packages, while the other is an
installation or server category.