Re: Bits from the RM

On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 07:17:57AM +1100, Brian May wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 01:46:02PM +0000, Mark Howard wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 06:56:13PM +1100, Brian May wrote:
> > > A release critical bug in one package could be caused by a non-release
> > > critical bug in another package.
> >
> > How?
> > If the bug is caused by a problem in another package then it should be
> > reassigned (and more importantly fixed). The bug is still RC, even if it
> > only affects dependent packages
>
> Wouter already answered the "The bug is still RC part".
>
> However, one point he didn't mention is that if the bug is reassigned in
> to the other, people will continue to be affected by the bug against the
> package, look up bug reports, not find anything, and resubmit a new bug
> report.
>
> If you keep at least one grave bug report open against the broken
> package, then it lets its users know that this is a known problem, and
> they can be redirected towards the real bug report against the real
> package.

For those playing along at home, I suspect this would look a lot like:

clone XXXXXX
severity -1 important
retitle -1 Causes massive failures on package foo
assign -1 bar

(The key trick is the cloning; it keeps the bugs tied in a way that makes
the relationship clear, keeps the discussion history available, and still
allows the bugs to be seen accurately, in the places they should be, and at
severities that are accurate).
--
Joel Baker <fenton@debian.org>                                        ,''`.
Debian GNU NetBSD/i386 porter                                        : :' :