Re: [RFC] adding system users: which is the best way??

Brian May <bam@debian.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 29, 2003 at 11:12:18PM -0500, Anthony DeRobertis wrote:
>> Perhaps Debian username should share some "namespace", like having
>> "debian-" in front of or behind them? I realize that'd be ugly, but it
>> should avoid conflicts.

> Would groups need to go in the same namespace?

> Is there a maximum length userids and group names can be?

> I had a feeling there was an 8 character limit, but I might be mistaken
> or out-of-date.

8 characters is just the number of characters ls shows. Check an older
Debian system, initially setup with base-passwd << 3.2.2. It will have
a "majordomo" account.
               cu andreas
Hey, da ist ein Ballonautomat auf der Toilette!
Unofficial _Debian-packages_ of latest unstable _tin_