Re: Tabs v.s. spaces

On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 04:33:16PM +0800, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 09:10:53AM +0100, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
>
> | > Please actually try to code something in Python before commenting on its use
> | > of spaces.  It is unlike the times of Fortran: in Fortran spaces are used to
> | > make programs easy to read by machines; in Python spaces are used to make
> | > programs easy to read by human.
> |
> | then why are they significant?
>
> So that anything that attempts to parse the program, be it human or
> Python, can tell when nested blocks begin and end?
>
> FWIW it seems that most people who have actually /used/ Python quite
> like the significant whitespace thing, even if the idea makes them a bit
> squeamish at first.

It's OT but I can't resist one more post:

Now that I've seen the code it's obviously semantically identical to
braces and semicolons -- so I'd have no problem with them.

I've been looking for good MSAccess-ish app in Linux; now that Rekall is
GPL I'll be learning Python.  It does seem VB-ish in its emphasis on
simplicity (and especially the no-semicolons thing); minus VB's
block-closing statements.

I basically have no problems with it.