Re: Some observations regardig the progress towards Debian 3.1

Norbert Tretkowski <tretkowski@inittab.de> wrote:

> Unfortunately Adrian didn't wrote why he thinks backports aren't
> usable for production systems. The only real problem with backports I
> see is that there are no guaranted security updates.

Er, you missed another big one, then: trust. Trusting the work of Debian
developers by no means implies trusting each and every backport found on
the net (not to mention other obvious problems outlined by Andreas).

> This could be a reason for someone to not using backports. For me it's
> not, I'm using my own backports.

Good for you, but that does not solve the problem for Joe Random User.

--
Florent