Re: RFC: Moving libraries to /lib?

> Okay, since discussion on -devel has died, here is what I do:
>
> On Mon, Sep 23, 2002 at 10:54:00AM +0200, Torsten Landschoff wrote:
> > I got a bug report on libldap2 which requests to move the libraries to=20
> > /lib, as /usr can not be unmounted when using PAM/NSS and LDAP (#159771).
> >=20
> > I don't think this is a good idea.=20
>
> I'll not move the libraries because it is the wrong thing for sure.=20
> But I'll add a comment to the README.Debian of libldap2 which tells=20
> how to solve the problem, namely using /bin/dash as the default shell.
>
> Apart from that I just changed the severity of the bug to normal,=20
> reassigned it to bash and merged it with #120340. I wonder why bash
> really uses getpwuid to get information about the current user, probably
> the bash developers are a bit paranoid about having the right user data.

Are you serious?  You're considering bash's use of a published interface
to obtain user information to be a bug in bash because it conflicts with
how debian wants to organize its file system?

Bash doesn't have anything to do with how libc (and ultimately libldap)
implements getpwuid.  There's nothing in POSIX that says that any file
descriptors must be kept open.

Chet

( ``Discere est Dolere'' -- chet )
						Live...Laugh...Love