Help programming printer

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask this question, my
appologies if it is not.

I am trying to port an old MS-DOS program and I have run into a stumbling
block.  The Mess Dos program wrote directly to the printer.  I can't seem
to find much information on how to print from a program in Linux.  Can
anyone recommend information on a web page, a book, or the correct mailing
list to ask this question?  Or am I just making this too hard?

Thanks
  -Scott