GPM to 1.20.1?

Is it possible to upgrade GPM in unstable to 1.20.1 (at least) which has
been out for a long time now. It would fix a lot of brokenness in GPM.

There was a previous discussion in March about this topic, nothing ever
came of it.

http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2003/debian-devel-200303/msg00748.html

There were some test packages referenced, I have been using them for 6
months now without any problems, except for the binary compatibility
problem mentioned in the post. This would be a very good time to upgrade
gpm and transition all of the packages compiled against it.

Any thoughts?

(I'm not a DD so I can't take any initiative in the upgrade myself)