Re: On linux kernel packaging issue

#include <hallo.h>
* Glenn McGrath [Sun, Nov 09 2003, 09:53:26AM]:

> > We're all very interested in *real* evidence here, because there
> > hasn't been any in the past. If you don't have any evidence, you can
> > expect people to call bullshit on this.
>
> Gentoo

What does that mean? Gentoo uses a heavily patched kernel which goes far
beyound of what we dicuss

> # time bzip2 -9k linux-2.6.0-test5.tar
>
> real    2m40.974s
> user    2m33.679s
> user    2m49.316s

Even then, it's about only 10 percent. Let's compare them with vanilla
kernel, optimised for P4:

# time bzip2 -9k out.wav

real    0m42.862s
user    0m41.410s
sys     0m0.310s

The same running an unoptimised vanilla kernel:

real	0m40.990s
user	0m40.640s
sys 	0m0.350s

Where is the performance gain you are talking about? Not even two
percent, haha.

MfG,
Eduard.
--