Re: A case study of a new user turned off debian

I demand that Matt Zimmerman may or may not have written...

> On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 05:20:18PM +0000, Darren Salt wrote:
>> I keep some around. I'd prefer better management of this, though: ATM all
>> that I can do (with apt-get/aptitude) is remove all older versions or
>> purge the cache.

> I use a dead simple cron.daily script which prunes packages with an atime
> above a certain threshold.

Hmm. That sounds useful; perhaps it, or something similar, should be in apt.
Useful configuration options, AFAICS, would be atime or ctime (and, of
course, a threshold) and/or disk space used or remaining.

(Yes, I know. Something for me to do... now, if there's already a script
which can be put to this use...)

> It would be only slightly less trivial to move the packages into another
> directory and run apt-ftparchive.

Maybe... my use of apt-proxy on one of my machines gives me the option of
cleaning the cache after an upgrade. I don't plan to do this, though ;-)

--
| Darren Salt   | nr. Ashington, | linux (or ds) at
| woody, sarge, | Northumberland | youmustbejoking
| RISC OS       | Toon Army      | demon co uk
|   Oh, sarge too...

Smile... people will wonder what you've been up to.