Re: stable executable names

On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 08:47:29PM +1100, Zenaan Harkness wrote:

| Now, what's finally got to me one too many times:
| * I run firebird then can't run mozilla.
| * I run mozilla then can't run firebird.

I've also noticed this.  A quick look at the BTS shows that someone has
already filed a bug on it:

Apparently it has been fixed upstream.

| And shouldn't we have stable executable names?

The executable names are fine, as far as I can see (mozilla => Mozilla,
mozilla-firebird => Mozilla Firebird).  Is the strange behaviour above
perhaps confusing you?

| If I'm running an app, shouldn't I be able to run additional instances
| of that app???!!??

AFAIK you can't in the case of Mozilla.  When you run mozilla while
a copy of mozilla is already running, it will start a new window if it
can; if it can't (e.g. the second instance of Mozilla is on a different
X display) it will try to con you into creating a new profile.

Openoffice displays even weirder behaviour wrt to multiple instances,
actually ... perhaps I should file a bug on that one.

Cameron.