Re: Alternatives entries for postscript/pdf-viewer

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 14:20:44 +0100, Matthias Urlichs wrote:
> as the sponsor for a package which wants a(ny) postscript viewer, I
> noticed that there are virtual packages for postscript-viewer and
> pdf-viewer, but no alternatives, i.e. there's no
> "/usr/bin/postscript-viewer".
>
> That is unfortunate, as there doesn't seem to be a good way to find out
> which viewer programs are actually installed, so that the package in
> question is unuseable without either manual configuration, or depending on
> a specific viewer program which the user might not want on their system.
>
> Unless there's protest, I therefore will mass-file a minor bug against
> all packages which Provide: postscript-viewer or pdf-viewer so that they
> add appropriate update-alternatives calls to their scripts (Policy 3.10).

What about using
see application/postscript:/path/to/file
instead?
(Provided postscript-viewer packages register with mime-support,
which might require filing bugs as well.)

--
Michał Politowski -- mpol@charybda.icm.edu.pl
Talking has been known to lead to communication if practised carelessly.