Re: Brief descriptions in menu entries

On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 01:20:26PM +1100, Ben Burton wrote:
> > Applications -> Internet -> Web Browser (Galeon)
> >                             Web Browser (Konqueror)
> >                             Web Browser (Mozilla)
> >                             Web Browser (Mozilla Firebird)
> >                             Mail Client (Evolution)
> >                             Mail Client (KMail)
> >                             Mail Client (Mutt)
> >                             FTP Client (KBear)

How about alternatives for menu items too? So only the preferred one
appears in menus.

So if x-www-browser points to Firebird, the only icon that shows up in
Applications->Internet should be Web Browser (Mozilla Firebird.)

Or maybe only add a menu icon for x-www-browser in the menu with a
generic icon and just slap 'Web Browser' on it, and not have menu items
for each individual browser.

(I think it's a good idea for the Web Browser stuff to be there, because
I could probably ask every student at my school what Mozilla Firebird
and I think about 5 people would know.)

Yes, this is dumbing down for what is probably not the immediate target
audience for Debian, but people have to start somewhere...

And if you use multiple web browsers or FTP clients or mail clients you
probably know how to launch them from the command line then.

You may begin flaming me to a crisp...

--
Joshua Kwan