Re: Source only uploads?

Op do 23-10-2003, om 22:03 schreef Nick Phillips:
> On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 05:00:34PM +0100, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> > >
> > > The environment on the workstation of any random developer is no less
> > > artificial than of the autobuilders.  The latter, however, is consistent,
> > > reproducible, and designed to minimize variables.
> >
> > And the whole point is that this is not desireable.
> >
> > Why has nobody been paying attention?
>
> I think you have now posted at least a couple of messages which successfully
> explain your point.
>
> You think that having tested a package which was built in a "real-world"
> situation is critical.

... and I agree with Andrew.

> Most people who are arguing with you think that it is more important that
> the binary packages we ship are built in a know, reproducible, and consistent
> way.
>
> If we keep the status quo as you suggest, we will be hit by the occasional
> case where something goes wrong on autobuilt packages because the maintainer
> accidentally did something "special" (which could even be part of Debian) on
> his machine when building. We also get the "HTF did this ever build at all?"
> bugs.

Yes, and we wouldn't catch them if everything was autobuilt for every
architecture (your point may be that those bugs wouldn't exist if we
didn't autobuild for every architecture; that's incorrect, it simply
would fail on one extra buildd)

> If we autobuild everything, we may get the reverse; the occasional problem
> that only occurs when you have something "special" (which could be part of
> Debian) on the build system.

Yes, but we wouldn't catch those bugs.

> Either way, occasionally you will get nasty problems that the other method
> would have caught.
>
> The difference is that autobuilding everything is reproducible, consistent,
> predictable and all those other things that good engineering practice is
> supposed to be.

We _do_ autobuild everything. Just not on every architecture.

> Eliminating sources of human error is GOOD.

I can't agree more with this phrase.
--
Wouter Verhelst
If you're running Microsoft Windows, either scan your computer on