Re: Debian bugs belong to the Debian BTS

Dominique Devriese <dominique.devriese@student.kuleuven.ac.be> said:

> My major point is that the OP should have discussed this first before
> reopening all of those bugs.
>
> My secondary point ( but I don't have equally strong feeling about
>this one ), is that I'm not sure Christopher's closing of those bugs
>was unjustified, because he has no time to personally look into
>fixing them upstream, and therefore, there is nothing he could really
>do about them, except for periodically checking whether they are
>already fixed upstream, which seems like a pretty useless activity
>imho.  If the reporter is really interested, he can easily check the
>upstream bug reports himself.

Hum, I consider that part as a maintainer duty. It should not take so
long and it's better to have the maintainer that do it once at each
big release than having each user doing it. The Debian BTS should be a
reference for users.

Also, if the maintainer properly done his job, he should have reported
the bug to upstream authors. And it is highly possible that the
upstream bug tracker will mail the maintainer if the status of the bug
he reported change.

--
Mathieu Roy

  | General Homepage: 		http://yeupou.coleumes.org/		|