Re: Debian bugs belong to the Debian BTS

On Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 01:46:05AM +1000, Russell Coker wrote:
> I believe that a large part of the value that Debian developers add to the
> community is in managing bug reports and fixing upstream bugs in our
> packages.

In my case, I tend to use the Debian BTS because it's far more efficient
for me to give the bug to the DD, and let him send it upstream if needed.
I'd have to poke through websites to find where I'm supposed to send it,
and probably be required to subscribe to a project mailing list.  The DD
has an open dialogue with upstream already.

(Being able to passively follow-up on bugs--in particular, being told
when the bug is fixed without having to check a mailing list and
changelogs all the time--is extremely useful, too.)

There's another problem here: if I didn't know anything about the Debian
BTS, I reported a bug, and the DD effectively said "don't report bugs to
me", would I use the BTS when I encounter a bug in a different package?
No--I'd be under the impression that the BTS is for packaging bugs only.
If people start believing that, the effectiveness of the BTS for all
packages is reduced.

--
Glenn Maynard