Re: Source only uploads?

On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 02:54:53PM +0100, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 02:42:30PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > What do you have against me ?
>
> I will say this once only.
>
> It's the way you make shit up that has no basis in reality.

Is it that much worse than calling people (err, me) morons or braindead ?

Ok, let's say you are worried that people will not be able to rebuild
packages that where autobuilt once sarge (or sarge+1, ...) is released.
So you propose people build the packages in their own environment, and
not in minimal ones ? What kind of build problems will you catch that
way ? Yes, you will be able to catch the rare build-conflicts that you
may not catch in the minimal environment build. On the other hand, you
will not catch the build-depends or will miss some. Ok, these will be
catched by the autobuilders. But even these build-conflicts will only
get detected through chance, and not in a torough and extensive search
for them or something such. You get much better chances to detect such
problem by regularly running a full rebuild of everything on a fast
machine, using a build environment with almost everything installed, and
using a current (at the time of build) snapshot of sarge.

But then, you have to weight what you loose too. You are choosing to
favor tests for build problems to the detriment of problems resulting
from packages built in broken environment. And the fact that your
sysadmin needs to rebuild everything, is exactly a proof that there is
something broken in our current build environment no ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther