problem with Build-Depends

Source: pam
Section: base
Maintainer: Sam Hartman <hartmans@debian.org>
Standards-Version: 3.5.8
Build-Depends: cracklib2-dev, bzip2, debhelper, patch, libdb3-dev, libcap-dev
[!hurd-i386 !freebsd-i386 !netbsd-i386], libselinux1-dev
Build-Depends-Indep: linuxdoc-tools, linuxdoc-tools-latex, latex2html,
tetex-extra, groff, opensp

Above is the Build-Depends for a package I am trying to rebuild.  When I try
and build it on my system which lacks cracklib2-dev the package builds
(dpkg-buildpackage does not complain).  dpkg-buildpackage works correctly in
other situations (when I first tried to build the package it complained about
linuxdoc-tools, linuxdoc-tools-latex, and opensp).

Any suggestions?

# dpkg -l cracklib2-dev
uppercase=bad)
pn  cracklib2-dev  <none>         (no description available)