Re: Pre-Depends for postgresql

Martin Pitt <martin@piware.de> wrote:

> Pre-Dependencies are supposed to be discussed at d-devel which I want
> to do now. If anybody objects I will just do it.

I have some reservations about using pre-dependencies on a package
like adduser.  Since adduser was not designed as something that worked
at all times, a pre-dependency may not be sufficient to guarantee
that it is working when your postinst runs.

In particular, the packages that adduser itself depends on may not
haven been configured at that time.  For example, you may end up in
a state where the passwd package is not operational due to a libpam
upgrade.  Please refer to the discussion that arose on debian-policy
when this last came up.

Cheers,