Re: Source only uploads?

On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 01:52:38PM -0400, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 07:48:33PM +0200, W. Borgert wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > a few days ago, I uploaded an emacs mode package (all) source only
> > w/o problems to ftp-master.  Today, a source only upload was rejected.
> > Why?  I think, we should get rid of binary uploads...
> >
> > Cheers!
>
> Please search the list archives for the reasons why source uploads are
> not allowed.  This has been hashed out before.  Highlights:
>   - it encourages carelessness
>   - Architecture: all packages would not get built

Well, we just need an arch: all autobuilder and that's it, or one of the
autobuilders building the arch: all stuff.

The reason why source only uploads (or binary uploads where the binary
part is ignored) are good, is that they limit the errors that may be
introduced by the DD build environment, which may be a bit more than
just sid. Like when you have XFree86 4.3.0 experimental packages
installed for example.

And if we are going to use experimental more and more, like aj
suggested, this is going to be more and more of a problem in the future.

Friendly,

Sven Luther