Re: nethack popularity contest - number_pad?

* Joshua Kwan

 > Searching for a general consensus here...
 >
 > These days Debian's nethack packages contain default nethackrcs which
 > enable number_pad style controls (instead of hjkl keys) by default, due
 > to a bug filed on the packages a long time ago. Of course, there are some
 > who like it and some who don't. It's too trivial to ask a debconf question
 > about it upon install so it boils down to a popularity contest.
 >
 > Which is better? I like the default keys because you learn how to use
 > nvi very efficiently knowing the hjkl-style keys :) I'm searching for as
 > many opinions as possible so please speak up!

  I'd like it to be hjkl, for several reasons.  For once, it's the
 default upstream behaviour, and I see no compelling reason to deviate
 from that.  Apart from that, I personally like the normal way better,
 because my laptop doesn't even have a number pad, and it's much easier
 to do other commands, such as check the armour status with "[", when
 my right hand is normally resting over the hjkl keys, as opposed to
 the number pad.

--
Tore Anderson