Re: The sense of automake (Was: Processed: better make that 1.7.8... :-()

Just wanted to mention another approach that avoids guessing at which
files need to be touched and in what order.  This is what I use in
debian/rules when I need to modify automake source files:

# Suppress accidental execution of the auto-* tools; see
# http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2001/debian-devel-200111/msg01416.html
#
no_auto_tools = ACLOCAL="`pwd`/missing aclocal" \
        AUTOCONF="`pwd`/missing autoconf" \
        AUTOMAKE="`pwd`/missing automake" \
        AUTOHEADER="`pwd`/missing autoheader"

[...]