Re: The sense of automake (Was: Processed: better make that 1.7.8... :-()

Andreas Tille wrote:
> regarding to bug #215554 I would like to ask for my personal clarification:
> Which sens makes automake if the resulting output depends from every new
> subsubversion?
>
> I've thought that I would do the wordnet program some good if I would add
> automake stuff.  Since I switched to auotmake1.7 I have continous trouble
> with subsubversion dependencies which now convinced me that I had a really
> stupid idea.  Is there any reason for this trouble I could understand?

Note that a recent discussion of this is relevent.

  http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2003/debian-devel-200306/msg00533.html

> If not I would revert my changes and will go back to just patching the
> brocken upstream Makefiles.

Personally I would include touch commands to bring the timestamps
after the diff patch is applied into relative conformance with the
timestamps of the files for when the patch was made and remove the
build depends on automake.  Although the previous discussion made good
arguments both directions.  I believe either of the methods are good
as long as you champion the process to completion.

Bob