Re: faster boot

On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 12:05:24PM +0200, Andrea Mennucc wrote:

> I would be delighted to have a faster boot: my boot times (excluding
> BIOS) are 60sec-90sec (using the ditributed kernel by Herbert XU), and
> this is very long (particularly for my Freevo-box)
>
> is anyone trying to implement the above in Debian?
> is anyone interested?

I just hacked /etc/init.d/rcS to start services with the same number
after the "S" in parallel, you can find it here:

http://sliepen.eu.org/~guus/parallel-rcS

- It works without problems, nothing seems to have failed.
- I don't see much of a difference (but then again, I have a fast
  computer).
- Unfortunately starting in the background means output of scripts gets lost.

    Guus Sliepen <guus@sliepen.eu.org>